You need only 5 minutes a day to transform your belly. There’s an easy method to work on your deep abdominal muscles which strengthens the peritoneum and gives a massage to your internal organs. This exercise was created by Indian yogis and adopted by modern bodybuilders. Yogis call it Uddiyana Bandha and bodybuilders, The Stomach Vacuum.
Bright Side wants to share this simple and effective exercise that will help you say goodbye to stubborn belly fat.
Doing the exercise on a regular basis:
- helps to tone the ab muscles and makes the waist thinner
- improves digestion
- contributes to good posture
- relieves back pain
- solves irregular stool problems
It’s better to avoid this exercise in cases of:
- gastrointestinal disease
- a postpartum or postoperative state
How the exercise works
Classic ab exercises work on the abdominal muscles (also known as a 6-pack). The vacuum is one of those few exercises that allows us to work on these deep muscles. It’s located under the abdominals and the abdominal oblique muscles responsible for “holding the stomach”.
To perform this exercise, you don’t need any specific training or equipment. All you’ll need is a good attitude and an empty stomach. It’s better to do the vacuum no earlier than in 2-3 hours after meals or in the morning.
It’s better to start holding your breath for 15 seconds and gradually extending the time to 60 seconds. In total, you’ll have to do 3-5 reps.
It’s important to keep an eye on your condition: don’t do the vacuum if you don’t want to, feel unwell, or are experiencing a stomachache.
- Step #1
The starting position: stand at shoulder width apart, hands resting on the hips, and your stomach relaxed.
- Step #2
Take a few deep breaths through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Then, again, breathe in through your nose and exhale all the air through your mouth.
- Step #3
Tilt your head and lower your chin to your chest. Suck in your belly as if you want to hide it behind the ribs.
- Step #4
Hold your breath for 15-60 seconds, sucking in your belly button as far as possible.
- Step #5
Then exhale, relax your abs, and lift your chin. Try not to do any rush moves to avoid dizziness.
- Step #6
Take some deep breaths, then repeat the exercise.
- The vacuum can also be performed while lying on your back (bend your knees with your hands resting on your hips), sitting down, or kneeling.
- After knowing you can handle the basics, you can start doing more complicated exercises. So when you’re holding your breath, try to make your ab muscles move in a wave-like motion. Then try to gently push and isolate the rectus abdominal muscles forward, hold it for a few seconds, and relax the muscles.
It’s already summer so go and try this exercise today! Don’t forget that the key to success is performing the exercise regularly.
Do you know any other great methods to tone your stomach?